Green Season in Madikwe Game Reserve
Rainy season in the South African bush falls between October and April each year. In our opinion, it’s also the best time to visit South Africa. But here at Tuningi Safari Lodge we have another name for it: Green Season.
5 reasons to visit the bush during green season
- The rain doesn’t persist all day. In fact, it normally takes the form of an afternoon thunderstorm – over in a flash! You haven’t lived until you’ve experienced powerful rains in the African bush.
- The bush itself is lush and green, making for extraordinary photographs.
- Bird numbers sky-rocket as the migratory birds return. This is the time of year you see most birds decked out in their colourful breeding plumage.
- Baby animals. Need we say more?
- You won’t have to jostle for space around the waterholes as there are often less visitors at this time of year.
If you’re looking for the best time to go on safari, don’t underestimate what this season offers. Whilst rain in Europe is associated with the cold, in Africa we associate it with life. It’s a time when the parched earth gets her fill of water, and the natural world explodes in a riot of colours.
Spring is a time of rebirth, and green season in Madikwe showcases this to perfection. Guests will be delighted by the number of baby animals wandering around.
Whilst the bush is lively and green at this time of year, it’s not yet so overgrown as to reduce visibility. As summer progresses, the grass gets longer, but it’s still short at the moment, and the animals are getting fat right before our eyes!
Tuningi Safari Lodge hosts many keen birders at this time of year. The migratory birds have returned, filling the air with song and life and an undeniable energy! Madikwe Game Reserve is one of the best birding destinations in South Africa, with over 300 species to be spotted.
Check out the list of birds to be found at Madikwe Game Reserve.
Visitors to Tuningi Safari Lodge in Madikwe Game Reserve can rest assured that, in spite of rains, our constituency lies in a malaria-free zone. That said, thanks to the mosquito nets in all of our suites, mosquitos won’t even occur to you as you get a peaceful night’s sleep in your King-sized, four poster bed.
If you’re worried about not seeing many animals at this time of year, rest assured that the guides at Tuningi are experienced and spend their lives tracking and understanding the movements of these animals. With more water around, you might have to work a little bit harder to tick the Big 5 off your bucket list, but rest assured, the animals are there.
At a glance
- Incredible thunder showers
- Excellent birding opportunities
- Green landscapes and an abundance of wildlife
If you’re interested in enquiring about green season in Madikwe, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly reservations team directly at email@example.com or use our online booking system by clicking here.
We look forward to welcoming you to Tuningi Safari Lodge.
Sources: go2africa.com; uyaphi.com
Image Credits: Gavin Tonkinson